Household Junk and Rubbish Pickup Schedule
City of Alabaster Rules and Regulations for Collection of Junk and Rubbish
- The first Monday of each month will be the Junk and Rubbish pickup day unless that day falls on a holiday. In the event the first Monday is a holiday, the second Monday of the month will be assigned as the Junk and Rubbish pickup day.
- The City will also offer two additional pickup Saturdays which will coincide with “Free Day” at the Shelby County Landfill.
- All residents who wish to schedule a Junk and Rubbish pickup must sign up through the City of Alabaster’s SignupGenius Page.
- The City will have 100 slots available for reservation each month.
- A $5 reservation fee is required when the pickup is scheduled.
- Reservations will be made available two weeks in advance of the scheduled Junk and Rubbish Pickup Day each month and registration will CLOSE at Noon on the Friday before the Monday scheduled for pickup.
- In the event a resident doesn’t have access to a computer, they can come to City Hall to sign up and pay the $5 reservation fee.
- Reservation fees are non-refundable.
- When signing up for the service, the resident may list what items are being picked up.
- There is a 10 cubic yard limit.
- Once a reservation is confirmed; residents may place their items at the curb for pickup no more than 24 hours prior to scheduled pickup time.
Pursuant to provisions of Ordinance 181119-079 (Section 34-10, (b), (2))
(2) Junk and rubbish.
a. Old furniture, mattresses and similar man-made items may be put out for pickup no sooner than one day before pickup is scheduled. This service is limited to residential only and not commercial rental cottages and units; weight limited to 300 pounds per item. The City Public Works Department (205-664-6810) or City Hall (205-664-6800) must be notified before any unusual item not listed is put out for pickup. No items longer than ten feet in length may be put out for pickup. White goods, such as; washing machines, dryers and stoves shall be picked up. Either a franchised hauler or the city will remove these items.
b. No commercially created trash or construction refuse, or homeowner-created construction refuse resulting from major lot cleaning, home construction, major renovation, repair or demolition will be picked up. Commercial haulers licensed by the city may be employed by the owner for this purpose. Trash or debris resulting from routine or minor homeowner maintenance and repairs, including minor lot clearing or yard maintenance will be removed.
c. A fee in the amount established by the city will be assessed to the property owner for yard trash in excess of ten cubic yards. The owner will be billed for the charges by the city.
PLEASE NOTE: (c) (4) - No appliances containing freon, oil or gas will be picked up, including lawnmowers or similar gas powered devices. No dirt, rocks, stumps, tires, paint, propane tanks, batteries, medical waste or hazardous materials will be picked up. If any these items are present, the entire pile will not be picked up.