Nonfiction and Reference Services maintains non-fiction, reference, and classic books. Additionally, adults can acquire and sharpen computer skills during computer classes offered through the department.
Website and Database Resources
Almanacs & Factbooks
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) World Factbook - Useful and concise information on every country in the world from the CIA.
- Information Please Almanac
- Old Farmer's Almanac
- Chilton Auto Repair Manual - Chilton is the world’s most comprehensive and trusted automotive repair database with easy-to-follow, step-by-step repair guidance on thousands of cars and trucks from 1940 to the present. Chilton Library is available remotely on all platforms, including mobile devices, so you can use it wherever you are.
- HeritageQuest Genealogy Database - You will need a Shelby County library card number to access this resource remotely.
- Ancestry Library Edition – Ancestry has unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom, including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada, Europe, Australia and other areas of the world. Ancestry Library Edition is only available from computers within the library.
- Newspapers.com Library Edition (Southeast) - The definitive newspaper digital archive offering full-text and full-image articles for significant newspapers dating back to the 18th Century.
- FamilySearch - One of the leading genealogy websites created by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It contains a large amount of church and courthouse records.
- Alabama Department of Archives and History
- Birmingham Public Library Southern History Department
- Health InfoNet – Connects to a database linking searchers to all types of internet sources for many different health topics such as Cancer, Heart Disease, Diabetes, and many others.
- Merck Manuals- The Merck Manuals are a leading medical reference resource with both a professional and consumer version.
- Recovery Connection - A resource for addiction, heart disease, and stroke.
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Clinical Trials
- Family Doctor
- Mayo Clinic
- Medline Plus
- National Cancer Institute
- Homework Alabama - Live Tutors answer math, science, social studies or English questions for grade levels 4th - College.
- Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information: Identity Theft - Learn about protecting your and your child's identity from the Federal Trade Commission
Library and Research Resources
- Alabama Virtual Library (AVL) - Materials are available for all ages; no password required! Visit this site for online materials including encyclopedias, full text magazine articles, and reference materials on: Business, Education, Government, Health, Literature, Science, Social Science, Language Learning
- In-State Access: The AVL now uses GeoIP for geographic location information so if you are in Alabama when you access this resource it should function.
- Out of State Access: If you access the AVL from out of state, or have problems connecting, please come by the library to get an AVL card and password.
- Britannica Library - an award-winning resource for children and adults and is organized by level – children, young adults, and a reference center suitable for adult users. Britannica Library is available remotely to all Alabamians.
- Novelist & Novelist K-8 - premiere database of reading recommendations, available through libraries around the world presenting fiction, nonfiction and audiobooks and includes expert recommendations, reviews, articles, lists and more.
- FantasticFiction - Search and browse bibliographies of over 50,000 bestselling fiction authors, with the latest books and series information.
- Generations on Line - This site is both a service for access and a product for learning to use computers on the Internet
- First Gov for Seniors–This official U.S. government site provides easy, one-stop shopping for seniors looking for government information about topics of interest to older adults
Test & College Preparation
- Learning Express Library 3.0 - Test preparation materials and interactive practice exams, based on official tests, that will help you improve you scores on academic, civil service, military, and professional licensing and certification exams.
- Tuition Funding Sources (TFS) is a service to help students find scholarships and other forms of financial aid to help pay for a college education. The TFS also provides college admissions information, a career personality test, and detailed career information.